Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 12: Free Day and Travel home

It was sad waking up and realizing that it was my last day in London. Today was packed with stuff to do. Danny, Steph, Dana and I went to the Tower of London. It was really cool. They had tons of historical items and the Crown Jewels. It was really cool to see armor and swords from the early 1300s all the way to the weapons and armor we use today. We went into a room that had all of the medals that were handed out to soliders all throughout british history. We then went and saw the Crown Jewels. It was amazing how many diamonds were inside the crown. I think if I remeber right they said that the crown adds 2.5 pounds to the Queens head when she wears it. The scepter was also outstanding, pretty sure it was the biggest dimond i have ever seen. Before we left the Tower we went to the Bloody tower. The bloody tower has a very strange history. Two princes lived in there and went missing. No one is too sure what happened, but there are a few conspiracy theories. They did find two small bodies in the  castle during renovation. So i suspect fowl play..... Dana and I took the tube to Hyde Park Corner and got out and saw the edge of Hyde Park. It sucked because it was raining, so we did not get to see much. It was what I expected walkways the lead into open grassy areas and tree filled areas for shade on a sunny day. It is an area for people who live in the city to escape the city life an relax. I was really hoping to see the Serpentine, because that is where the Marathon swimming was held for the olympics; but the weather did not really coorperate. We hopped back on the tube and got off on Leicester square and walked to the National Portrait Gallery, baiscally because it was the only art gallery i could remeber being mentioned. It's what can be expected from a portrait gallery; it was pictures of people. Some of Kings and Queens, and other of famous people around the world. I looked at their website the other day and saw that they had a Native American display while we were there but we did not walk around enough to see it. We only spent like a half-hour in there, mainly because we have been seeing portraits all week, and were crushed for time because we still needed to go to Harrods and Camden town. I think next time I will definitly go and check out the National Gallery. I like landscape artwork better than portratits. should have thought that one through...... So we got back on the tube and back tracked to Harrods. It was a ridiculous store filled with tons of brand name items. We never made it to look at all the cheese, (sorry Dr. King), but we were able to find some wine to take home to Dana's mom. We then hopped on the tube for one last journey to Camden Town. It was not as bad as the first time, and we were able to get all of our souvenirs.  Dana and I went back to the hotel so we could get ready to go see Phantom of the Opera. We got ready and went to dinner with the group before the musical. We had Pizza Hut, which for the record is not as good as American Pizza Hut. Phantom of the Opera was outstanding and I really did enjoy it, but I think I liked Wicked better. The musical finished around 10 and we went back to the hotel to pack. I finished packing about midnight and slept for about 3 hours. We left the hotel at about 4 in the morning. The flight was much better than the first one. We actually got to choose what we wanted watch. We were delayed in Chicago cause the plane had some issues, but once they got that solved we were on our way home. In Rapid City Dana and I stopped at Best Buy so I could get a keyboard for my iPad. We finally made it home at 730 and I was asleep by 9. I miss London but I'm glad to be home. 

Here is some Pictures from friday.


 Traitors Gate at the Tower of London.
 A dragon sculpture from inside the Tower of London.
 The only picture we were able to get of the Crown Jewels.
This last picture is Steph trying to lift up a back pack from the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment