Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 2: magistrate court

Today has been interesting this morning at 9 we got our first experience with the tube (subway). It was way better than any other experience I have had on a subway. Not as crowded and way easier to understand. After a short ride in the tube we arrived at the Magistrates court.
The court we entered serves the Westminster section of London. I got the chance to observe three different cases. One of the first things I notice was that the defendants do not sit with their attorneys. Two of the cases the defendant appeared over a closed circuit camera. The first one plead guilty to anti-social behavior which is better known as begging on the street. He was immediately given his charge of 14 days I'm prison because he was a repeat offender. The second guy also plead guilty of drinking wine from a bottle he did not buy. He went into the store and drank from a bottle and then put it back in the shelf. He was only charged with one day in jail and had to pay 5 pound compensation to the store. The last man was charged with assault. He moved to dismiss his charges because he had no prior history, and was an outstanding citizen in the community. They will have a second hearing in June 4th to decide what to do with him. One other thing I noticed is we went into a lay magistrate court; which means that there are three magistrates but they are volunteers. They only have to go through a short training and then they serve for a certain amount of time. Our guide said it is similar to our jury duty. The judges are given legal advise from a law Proffessional and he or she helps the magistrates run the court. 
We finished with the courts around noon and came back to the hotel to get some lunch. Than while we we waited for the education group Danny and I went to find phones. Here is the one I got. 
It cost 20 pounds and gives me 100 mins and 100 text to phones in the UK. It is as basic as it gets. Since the education department did not get back till 530 Danny and I went to the Brutish museum and was there for about an hour but we will definitely have to go back. There is so much to see that you could probably spend days in there. I did get a chance to take to take a couple pictures. 
This is the Rosetta Stone. 
This is me with a statue from Easter island.
When the education group finally got back we got some dinner at the London pub, which is right next to our hotel. Dana and I split some fish and chips, and it was delicious. I have not really had anything to drink but I did try Guinness and it was not bad. Well time to turn in for the night. Tomorrow we see the Supreme Court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment